I have always loved a warm and nourishing bowl of hot soup, what more when it is my favourite Herbal Chicken soup! J and I used to buy this either at food courts or food stalls that offer herbal chicken. I was delighted when I first tried Mum’s version, because it tasted so delicious, I would reckon it better (and definitely much cheaper) than the commercialised versions. Here is the recipe:
4 chicken legs with skin
Dark soya sauce
12 red dates
5 pieces angelica sinensis (当归)
6 strips astragalus membrance (北芪)
Light soya sauce
Handful of Chinese wolfberries (枸杞子)
- Coat all chicken legs with dark soya sauce in an oven-safe dish.
- Broil in oven at “High” temperature till chicken browns on surface, then remove from oven.
- Flip the chicken legs and place them back into the oven to brown the other side. Start with “Low” for 8 minutes to cook chicken through, then switch to “High” till surface browns.
- Rinse the red dates, angelica sinensis (当归) and astragalus membrane (北芪) to remove dust or impurities.
- Place them into a slow cooker, followed by the broiled chicken legs.
- Add water and light soya sauce. Let slow cooker continue to cook all ingredients at “High” till soup boils, then turn to “Low” to simmer longer.
- Add the Chinese wolfberries (枸杞子) at the last 1 hour.
Hope you will enjoy this nutritious and healthy herbal chicken soup as much as I do!