Calgary, Alberta, Canada underwent a blizzard which swept through many areas of the province just last week, which resulted in record low windchill temperatures of -40ºC. This week, the snowstorm that followed left many a pavements and roads all “whiteout”, with accumulated snow that melted slowly, forming slippery icy paths and roads that yielded many falls and accidents.
On a cold day with freezing temperatures like this, I just have to make this sweet herbal drink to warm my soul.
White Fungus (白木耳) (Half a bunch)
Red dates (红枣)
Longan Pulps (龙眼肉)
Apricot Kernals (南杏)
Chinese Wolfberries (枸杞子)
Maple Syrup (to taste)
- Soak the white fungus overnight and rinse clean several times.
- Cut it into many bite-sized pieces.
- Rinse clean all other ingredients except maple syrup.
- Add all ingredients into a pot and pour in 1.5 L of boiling water.
- Let it come into a rolling boil, then simmer for 1.5 hrs.
- Serve hot from pot, or chilled in fridge.
Stay warm Albertans!!