This dish is J’s all-time favourite! The pork is braised in a deeply fragrant and savoury sauce until it’s so tender that it positively melts in the mouth. This recipe is flavourful, has brilliant texture, and the fat gives it a wonderful unctuous quality as it bastes itself from within. To serve four with rice and a stir-fried vegetable as a side dish. This is one of those recipes which is even better left to cool, refrigerated, and then reheated the next day.
- 1 kg pork belly
- 6 tablespoons dark soy sauce (divided)
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon five-spice powder
- 2 tablespoons lard or flavourless oil
- 4 star anise
- 6 cloves garlic (minced)
- 6 shallots (minced)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 250 ml water
- 7 hard boiled eggs (halved)
1. Cut the pork into bite-size pieces.
2. Marinade pork with one tablespoon of dark soy sauce, honey and five-spice powder in a large bowl, for at least 1 hour.
3. Fry the minced shallots, garlic and star anise in a pot on medium-high heat till fragrant.
4. Add sugar and pork with its marinade to cook till the pork meat is coloured on all sides.
5. Add the remaining 5 tablespoons of dark soy sauce and water.
6. Bring the mixture to the boil, then reduce to a gentle simmer.
7. Slice hard boiled eggs into halves and add into braising liquid, cover and continue to simmer for at least 2 hours, turning the meat every now and then.