Since we returned, we have not started cooking. The serviced apartment we are renting currently does not have a rice cooker, and we could only find minimal cooking equipment. We do not intend to purchase any condiments too since we are only staying here for a month or two, before we pack up and leave again to London, UK.
Furthermore, the area we stay in do not have eatery places that offer economic rice (aka “zhap cai bng”). Enter in the convenience of tingkat meal delivery services available in Singapore! This is our first time trying such services, and we were pleasantly surprised to find that there were so many (close to twenty) companies offering such a service in this small island. Almost all of them deliver only from Mondays to Fridays, and they do provide a trial service of 10 days. Unfortunately, after calling several recommended companies, we were disappointed to realise many of them do not deliver to the Bukit Timah area, due to the heavy traffic condition, which may in turn lead to delayed deliveries in other areas. Nonetheless, we managed to secure a deal with Kim’s Kitchen where we ordered their 3 dishes + 1 soup (with rice) for 2 pax.
- Leek with Beancurd
- Braised Chicken Drumlets and Eggs (small portion: only 1 drumlet and 1 egg for each pax)
- Cereal Fish
- White Fungus Chicken Soup (tasted like MSG was added)
- Hakka Long Bean
- Ngoh Hiang
- Meat Chops
- Salted Veggie Duck Soup (there was only one thumb-sized piece of duck meat in the soup)
After day 2, we called Kim’s Kitchen to ask for a swop from 3 dishes + 1 soup to 4 dishes because the soups we had so far all tasted too salty or laden with MSG. In fact, the other dishes too. However, we were told we were not allowed to change because we only ordered a trial.
- Veggie with Mixed Mushrooms
- Beancurd with Celery
- Chicken with Abalone Sauce
- Soup was replaced with another vegetable dish (that was spoilt, we had to discard it)
- Broccoli with Bai Ling Mushroom
- Tri-Coloured Steam Egg
- Fish Chops
- Fish Maw Veggie Soup
- Loh Han Chye
- Ngoh Hiang (Repeat dish as day 2)
- Rendang Chicken
- Old Cucumber Soup
- Veggie with Ikan Billis
- Fu Rong Egg
- Fried Fish Slice
- Corn Chicken Soup (There was no chicken in the soup)
- Season Bean with Dried Shrimp
- Braised Lion Head
- Potatoes with Sweet and Sour Sauce (came with processed meat)
- Lotus Root Soup
- Red Residue Prawn
- Fried Fish
- Cucumber with Mixed Mushrooms
- Seafood with Winter Melon
- Ikan Billis with Beancurd
- Bean Sauce Chicken with Bamboo Shoot
- Pei Cai
- ABC Soup
After the 10-day trial, we are sure that we will not be ordering from Kim’s Kitchen again because of the following reasons:
- Most dishes were too salty for our taste.
- All dishes tasted of MSG.
- All dishes that came with sauce used corn starch.
- Soups came with negligible ingredients.
- Portions were small.
- Ingredients used do not justify cost.
We missed those days in Calgary where we prepared home-cooked meals using the variety of kitchen appliances available in our apartment. Now that we are only staying here for a month or two, and that there is no wet market or supermarket within walking distance (with a baby pram in tow) where I can buy groceries, we reckoned tingkat delivery service is the way to go for now.
Today is also the day we would be trying a different caterer (who delivers to the Bukit Timah area) – Hong Choo Catering Services. We’ll update once we finished the 10-day trial!