We have been enjoying dinner delivery from Hong Choo Catering Services since March 2014. It has been 5 months of consistent good food, albeit the portions are not quite justifiable for 3-pax portions. Hence, we embarked on a new journey to search for a different caterer for our dinner delivery. We came upon Hilltop Dinner Delivery (山顶晚餐外卖) and ordered their 10-day trial.
We were shocked to receive an ultra huge packet of food from Hilltop’s delivery man on the first day of trial. There were 2 packets of rice and 2 bowls of soup. We ordered 3 dishes +1 soup for 3-pax plus rice for 2-pax (just as what we usually order from Hong Choo Catering Services). In comparison, Hong Choo only provides 1 packet of rice (for 2-pax) and 1 bowl of soup (meant for 3-pax). Portions for the 3 dishes are smaller than Hilltop too. The following pictures show the food we received for the 10-day trial.
- Braised Herbal Chicken
- Fried Fish Fillet
- Stir-fried cucumber with carrot
- Szechuan Vegetables with Pork Ribs Soup
- Pork Chops with BBQ sauce
- Braised Tau Pok and Eggs
- Spinach with Ikan Bilis
- Wintermelon with Chicken Soup
*The portions shown above appear less than what was originally given to us, because we started eating before the photo was taken. There were originally more pork chops, and there were 3 eggs with more beancurds. Sorry, we were famished that day!
- Braised Oyster Sauce Chicken
- Whole Fish in Bean Sauce
- Stir-fried Cai Xin with Fish Cake
- ABC Pork Ribs Soup
- Short Ribs in Black Bean Sauce
- Braised Beancurd with Black Fungus
- Stir-fry Xiao Bai Cai
- Mushroom Chicken Soup
*The above photo was taken after Shen took his portion. There were originally more short ribs and beancurds before we took the photo.
- Assam Prawns with Ladies Fingers
- Butter Cereal Chicken
- Fuzhou Fishball Soup
- Spicy Sotong
- Braised Pork in Fermented Beancurd Sauce
- Stir-fry Cabbage
- Carrot and White Radish Soup
- Fish Slice with Bitter Gourd
- Steamed Herbal Chicken
- Tau Kwa with Peanut Sauce
- Kai Lan
After having soups for the past 6 days, we decided to try their 4 dishes for the next 4 days. We found that their 4th dish is not bad!
- Thai Chicken Chops
- Stingray in Fermented Bean Sauce
- Stir-fry vegetables
- Potato with Baked Beans
- Honey Pork Chops
- Chilli Fish
- Chye Xin
- Fried Sotong Balls
- Steamed Garlic Fish Slices
- Stir Fried Pork with Pickled Lettuce
- Mushroom with Egg Tofu
After the 10-day trial, we concluded the following:
- Portions are huge!
- Vegetable dishes are green leafy types, and they are tasty.
- Menu is given so you can expect what will be delivered each day.
- Fish dishes are mostly fried, perhaps they were already not so fresh?
- Meat dishes are also mostly fried or heavily sauced, not very healthy.
- Pork ribs in soups are very tough.
- Chicken in soups consist of skin and bones, no substantial meat for consumption, perhaps these parts are for flavour?
- Leftovers can’t be kept for next day.
Therefore, although the food delivered by Hilltop Dinner Delivery (山顶晚餐外卖) is full of flavour and in mega portions, we have decided to continue with Hong Choo Catering Services for the many reasons we have listed in our previous post: http://wp.me/p48223-j5