Since we returned from Penang, we have been craving for Mum’s herbal chicken again. So, I decided to make it for J today. This is the first time since we came back from Calgary that I’m making herbal chicken! Thank God it turned out as well as we last had it while we were still in Canada.
2 chicken drumsticks and 2 thighs with skin
Dark soya sauce
12 red dates
5 pieces angelica sinensis (当归)
6 strips astragalus membrance (北芪)
Light soya sauce
Handful of Chinese wolfberries (枸杞子)
- Coat all chicken legs with dark soya sauce in an oven-safe dish.
- Broil in oven at “High” temperature till chicken browns on surface, then remove from oven.
- Flip the chicken pieces and place them back into the oven to brown the other side. Start with “Low” for 8 minutes to cook chicken through, then switch to “High” till surface browns.
- Rinse the red dates, angelica sinensis (当归) and astragalus membrane (北芪) to remove dust or impurities.
- Place them into a pot followed by the broiled chicken legs.
- Add water and light soya sauce. Cook all ingredients at “High” till soup boils, then turn to “Low” to simmer longer.
- Add the Chinese wolfberries (枸杞子) and cook till soften then serve with cooked Mee Sua.
Hope you will enjoy this nutritious and healthy herbal chicken soup as much as we do!
*Following Mum’s recipe that I’ve posted previously in the following link: